Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Needs to Plan a Christmas Cantata


I’ve been at Noah’s Ark three days and have already become a permanent fixture in their weekly staff meetings. Now, these meetings are not for all the staff here—they are for about a dozen people in various leadership roles throughout the compound. So much for stepping down from leadership and playing with babies for the next three months.

(I did get to play with babies today, however. There is one who is quite… well, round. You might call him a roly-poly little guy. The funny thing is, that description would be literal. He can’t crawl yet, so he gets around by rolling himself over and over again until he gets where he wants to go. Combine that with his toothy grin and he’s a fun one to watch!)

Anyway, Daniel led me to believe (unintentionally, I’m sure) that tonight he and I were going to meet with Mama and Papa to discuss my role for the next three months. Imagine my surprise when I showed up to the meeting and there were already ten people there! As it turned out, I was invited because tonight we started the planning process for our first ever Christmas cantata. Papa wants to start a Noah’s Ark tradition in which children and staff put on a Christmas gospel presentation through music, dance, drama, and a message. It will be presented a handful of evenings shortly before Christmas as a way to connect with the community and help them see that Christmas is about more than food and new clothes, which is typically what characterizes the holiday in this culture. We all think it sounds like a great idea, but it is going to be a chore putting the whole thing together for the first time, especially considering that Mama and Papa will be in Holland for the month of October.

SALT, The “W”, High School Camp… I am getting my fair share of putting together guinea pig programs and having no idea how they will turn out.

I am one of two people charged with the task of doing some research to find out what similar programs have been done in other places, what resources are available to us, and to begin piecing together the major elements and overall flow of the program… and it just hit me what a big task this is. Seriously, as I wrote that, my eyes bugged out a little. When Papa asked if I would be willing, it seemed like I would mostly be watching YouTube videos of other cantatas. That is so not the case. Here goes… something.

God, you surprise me so often. I did not expect to have an opportunity or task like this while I was here. Please help me rise up to the challenge. Give me the humility and courage to ask for help when I need it—humility to admit there are a lot of things I don’t know, and courage to ask someone I haven’t met or who seems altogether too busy already. Infuse my mind with creativity as I consider what this program could be. Help me be a fast learner as I try to better understand everything from how the internet works here to what elements of Ugandan culture to include. (Why couldn’t they be planning something I have at least done before?) Please encourage me when I am frustrated. Most of all, as I research and plan how to best share your amazing message with others, may it take root in my heart in a brand new, captivating way so that I can not only present this to a target audience, but I can also be the target audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment